Friday 3 April 2015

New on the Stack in March

Time to link up with the Deliberate Reader and see what we have added to our reading stacks in the past month!

My stack of printed books looks like this:



Wilkerson, Gary: David Wilkerson. The Cross, the Switchblade and the Man Who Believed

Why: A gift from my husband. (We apparently have a similar gift-giving strategy - choosing books that interest us both. :) ) I've already read this; here are some thoughts on it.


Davis, Katie: Kisses from Katie

Why: I noticed it on the library's list of new titles, because Amazon keeps recommending this to me based on the books I have bought/looked at. I've read mixed reviews - some enthusiastic, some not quite so keen - and I thought I'd give it a try.


Doerr, Anthony: All the Light We Cannot See

Why: All the reviews I've read about this book have been positive. 
Moreover, this will be my "bestseller" for the MMD Reading Challenge.*sigh of relief*
(I'm now in the middle of reading it, and it's number 3 on the NY Times Bestseller list, in the category of Combined print and e-book fiction. I really read very few books that are still "currently on the bestseller list" when I read them, because getting them from the library tends to mean getting them after the biggest wave of popularity has already passed.)


Borrowed electronically from the library:


Bates, Laura: Shakespeare Saved My Life. Ten Years in the Solitary with the Bard.

Why: It caught my attention when our library's Overdrive page advertised it as a Big Library Read book (http://biglibraryread.com/). The description intrigued me - I wanted to know how reading Shakespeare saved the life of a prison inmate. 
I probably won't participate in the discussion on the Big Library Read website, but it's an interesting concept.



Kindle Purchase:


Why: It was a special offer (just $3,71 with taxes), and I've read enough blog posts, about her and by her, to feel that this book will be worth reading. 






4 comments:

  1. Kisses From Katie has been on my shelf for a few months - it came highly recommended, but I just haven't gotten around to opening the cover. I look forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to read All the Light We Cannot See. I loved Doerr's collection of short stories, The Shell Collector and so I'm sure this is even more wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tuija - I had read a few posts by and about Kara Tippetts in the last while and was so sad to hear of her death. Please let us know how you liked her book; I'm sure it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a great list of books this month! I just finished the Shakespeare over Easter weekend, but like you I won't be participating in the discussion on the Big Library Read website.

    ReplyDelete